Paris

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Holy Smoke!


Holy smoke is for fire news, the fact that this is my 95th blog posting AND that I have important business news.

The Napa wildfire wasn't even 2 miles from my sister's home. Is this vineyard a great view? It's from the driveway at the top of a small hill on which she lives...she and her family get to enjoy it but it belongs to the neighbors so it's like having a vineyard you never have to care for!

So that ridge in the background is where the fire was. Next photo is a closeup: all those pale, pinky/rusty looking trees are what burned. Sis's family watched the flames at night time...eeek! Just over 4,000 acres burned, mostly on the back side of this ridge.

The first day of blue sky was such a blessing and it wasn't until I saw the still-there smoky haze contrasted against the blue that I realized just how bad the air was.

So I was in Napa last week as Nanny Jul to my 2.5 year old nephew. Gosh, he speaks in phrases now: "I got it!"..."I did it!"...."me too"...and the first 4 word phrase:"I don't LIKE it!!!!". LOL

It was a treat to be able to communicate much more easily with him...just wonderful. So my business news is that based on some recent snide comments about my business by some family, it hit me that they don't see it as a real job....because I wasn't treating it like a real job but a hobby. I then had a wake up call when I heard someone say they had committed themselves to do all they could to have a successful business and that's when I knew what was missing in mine: commitment.

So after I get my business taxes taken care of this week, my focus will be on creating a commitment statement and specific goals that will drive me to work more diligently to achieve success. I have never been much of a goal setter but I find after recent illuminations into the manner in which I live my life that I am excited about making it more of what I want, and that includes my jewelry and paper goods business becoming more profitable, especially for my husband's looming retirement....not for several years yet, but something for which planning is key.

I already know that the best fit is to enjoy my morning coffee and breakfast and then perform my important skin care and hair styling so I can feel ready for the day. I'd like to add yoga, meditation and bible study to the mornings and then move on to working in my studio. After that, when people start returning home from work, I won't see them as distractions as I did when I tried to work in the afternoons...and can focus on dinner plans, laundry, errands, etc. to keep the house in order and enjoy my family.

This may sound simple but it's a very big switch in how I've been managing my time until now!

On the jewelry front, I'll be working with more large black & white beads and incredible bird pendants with bird focals from Green Glass Cafe.

I hope I've entertained you a little and am glad you visited.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails